Preventing Nipple Damage – To prevent nipple damage, here are a few tips you can try:
- Use Marcalan once or twice daily in the third trimester to improve the smoothness, elasticity & moisture balance of the nipple making it better able to cope with the demands of breastfeeding.
- Ensure baby is positioned correctly and attached well.
- Change breast pads frequently.
- Avoid the use of products which may dry the skin (eg. soaps)
- Avoid rapid air drying which may cause irregular shrinkage, leading to cracking.
Managing Nipple Damage – Many mothers are advised to treat damaged nipples with exposure to the air. Aside from the impracticality of this advice for many busy mums, it is also contrary to modern principles of healing which stipulate establishing a moist wound healing environment. Research has revealed wounds can heal 50% faster and without scabbing or crusting using moist wound healing techniques.
When baby breastfeeds, the nipple is in a wet environment and the tissue absorbs moisture and swells. Rapid air drying causes irregular shrinkage and the resulting tension on the skin causes cracking. Marcalan provides a semi-occlusive barrier to slow evaporation of moisture already present in the skin, thereby eliminating further drying and cracking. It is absorbed into the nipple, so tissue is re-hydrated from within, and exposed nerve endings (which are a source of pain) are returned to a more normal moist state.